Metal parts manufacturers rely on powder coating to decorate and protect their products. These are the two primary functions of coatings. Thanks to powder coating, metal products get a high-quality professional finish that enhances the product’s aesthetics, while also preventing corrosion, chipping, and scratching. Without coating and professional finishing, most metal products would have a limited service life because they would be highly vulnerable to corrosion and wear.
Luckily, through professional powder coating, you can protect your metal products and extend their life cycle. Here are more benefits of using powder coating on your metal products.
There are Many Types of Powders Available for Use
Different powders have varying characteristics and applications. The powders are available in many colors and each powder results in a unique finish. Here are some common powders available for finishing metal products, and the characteristics that make them unique.
- Epoxies: They’re among the first powders to be used for professional powder coating. Compared to all other powders, epoxies offer the best chemical and corrosion resistance. They’re durable, have excellent adhesion to metals, and sufficiently protect the metal surface for a long time.
- Polyesters: These are the most common powders in use today. Polyesters are available in many colors, special effects, and gloss levels. Most professional finishers use TGIC and non-TGIC polyesters to finish their metal products. Polyesters have great mechanical resistance, impact resistance, and good chemical resistance. This makes them the first choice of powder for many applications.
- Super Durable Polyesters: They offer superior durability compared to standard polyesters. They have better corrosion and humidity resistance and can hold their color and gloss for about ten more years than the standard polyesters. Super durable polyesters are perfect for various outdoor applications.
- Epoxy-Polyester Hybrids: They’re a mix of polyesters and epoxies. Hybrids are best suited for products that require a good cosmetic appeal and a durable finish. The most attractive thing about hybrids is that they can be mixed in various ratios to emphasize epoxy or polyester properties.
- Fluoropolymers: They have excellent weatherability that makes them suitable for exterior architectural applications. They have great retention for color and gloss, even under adverse weather.
- Urethanes: Provide smooth finishes and excellent exterior durability. They’re commonly applied on doorknobs, car rims, air conditioners, and agricultural equipment.
Powder Coatings Have Low Maintenance Costs
Metal products with a powder coat are easy to clean and maintain. There’s no need to use special solvents when cleaning products with a powder coat. By using water and regular soap, a user can easily clean a powder coated product. Manufacturers of household appliances, such as stoves, washers, and dryers rely on powder coating to give their products a durable professional finish. The modern consumer is looking beyond the visual appeal of products. Before buyers purchase common domestic items such as kitchen appliances, they’ll consider the ease of cleaning. Appliances with an enhanced powder coating are easy to clean and maintain besides having a longer service life.
Powder Coating is Environmentally Friendly
Since powder coatings do not use solvents and chemicals like liquid coatings, they don’t emit harmful VOCs to the air. As such, it’s safe to use and dispose of the powder without causing harm to people and the surrounding environment. Professional finishers use a spray painting gun to finish their metal products in a spraying booth. This makes it possible to collect any excess powder and reuse it again where applicable. By doing so, less powder is disposed of as waste. Powder coating is one of the most eco-friendly finishing processes.
Powder coating makes your products more resistant to scratching, chipping, and wear and tear from harsh weather and daily use. Powder coating has more benefits compared to liquid coating, and it’s suitable for finishing everyday metal appliances. The quality of a professional powder coating is determined by the choice of powder and the workmanship of a professional finisher. You should trust the most experienced finishers for your product’s powder coating to get a durable and beautiful finish.